Friday, November 30, 2007

Starwood's partiton management isn't automated...

My Sprint broadband service isn't too quick where I am staying on vacation with my family, so I thought I'd try the hotel broadband at the Westin. When I loaded the web page to sign in, I got:

Our Apologies. Error occured while processing your request.
Please try again later.
Cause: ORA-14400: inserted partition key does not map to any partition

One more thing we all need to automate: partition maintenance.

If I were an Oracle sales person, I might say to myself, "Gee, I wonder if they're licensed for the partitioning option."

2 comments:

Robert Freeman said...

Interval partitioning in 11g will take care of this problem in most cases...!! :-)

Charles Schultz said...

In what cases will interval partitioning *not* take care of this?

After reading Freeman's 11g New Features book, I immediately wrote some pl/sql code to simulate this behavior in 10g. I had problems trying to automate it via the job scheduler (I learned via an SR on this topic that output from jobs goes into the bit bucket, which is no fun), so it is running from cron.

And for what hotel chain does Arup Nanda work with..... *sly grin*